This year, turn the back-to-school countdown into a game…it’s a way to savor those last days of summer, and it’s a way to beat the “I’m bored” syndrome! They’ll wake-up each morning looking forward to another activity!
How to Play The Back to School Countdown Game
- Figure out how many days are left until school starts.
- Let your children come up with something fun to do each day until school starts, but you’re in charge and you set the daily budget. Keep it frugal by allowing them to only plan a few activities that cost money.
- Mark the activities on the calendar.
Need some ideas for free fun? Here are some fun and mostly free ideas!
- have a backyard campout
- make a Frozen Lemonade Pie…yummy!
- enjoy a picnic in the park
- meet Dad for lunch at his office
- read a book by the pool…maybe finish a required summer reading book????
- make homemade ice cream
- play in the sprinklers
- have a cookout
- go stargazing
- enjoy a lazy summer day…all day in your pajamas!
- take a trip to the farmers market
- go berry picking and come home to make strawberry jam! Click here for the easy recipe!
- take a walk on the beach or take a hike on a nearby trail
- skip rocks
- watch the sunset
- play croquet
- eat watermelon and have a seed spitting contest!
- catch fireflies
Well…that’s probably more ideas than there are days left before school starts, so get started today and enjoy those last lazy days of summer! You just might discover a new back-to-school family tradition!