Cynics be warned: This post is chock full of Valentine’s Day cheer.
I start anticipating Valentine’s Day come mid January. The Christmas bustle is over, and all we’re left with is cold and dark weather. I think it’s a lot of fun to put on those rose-tinted glasses and appreciate all things love and romance. And being wined and dined doesn’t hurt either!
It’s also a lot of fun to get dolled up on Valentine’s Day. And while I love to wear my red and pink, I prefer not looking like cupid vomited on me. Instead of head-to-toe red, I like to wear a base of black or white, and use Valentine’s-themed accessories to show my spirit. Here are some VDay accessories I’m loving this year. And they best part? They’re all under $50, with most under $20.
- Scarves! Cozy up during February’s chill with a warm Valentine’s Day scarf. A basic, solid-colored red scarf or pink scarf is always a classic and will look great with most any coat. Or, consider a patterned scarf. I have the heart scarf above (see it in action here), and it’s too cute. The rose floral scarf above would add a very romantic touch to a little black dress.
- Earlier when I mentioned rose-tinted glasses, I meant it in the metaphorical sense. But some sweet heart sunglasses can give you a literal rosy view of life. What other day during the year is it totally acceptable to wear some heart-shaped glasses?
- Maybe you want to use Valentine’s Day for some “me time” and pamper yourself a little bit. Light a candle, steep yourself a perfect cup of tea in a heart mug, and give yourself a mani/pedi. I love Butter nail polish — and that shade of red is so sassy!
- Jewelry is one of the most classic gifts that show love. But there’s nothing wrong with getting yourself some inexpensive love-themed costume jewelry. Both the heart earrings and love ring above are from Modcloth — and both are well under $20!
- Tame those flowing locks with some VDay hair accessories. Don a cute red hat if your date includes ice skating or a walk outside. Tuck your hair to the side with a sweet heart comb, or pin some rose clips into your curls for a romantic touch.
- Forget chocolates and Necco Sweethearts. Get yourself some arm candy instead! A blush-hued handbag is subtle, while a bright red purse is bold. Or for a night out dancing, consider a little red wallet with just enough room for the essentials.
written by: Sarah Heckle
Author bio: Sarah Heckle is a writer, editor, and blogger from Indianapolis. She and her husband met on Valentines day several years ago, and she’s excited to spend their first married Valentine’s Day together!