It’s back-to-school time, and it’s back-to-lunch time!
When it comes to school lunches, do you…
A. Give your children $3 – $7 each day to buy an unhealthy, unidentifiable lunch on a tray?
B. Stock your refrigerator with Lunchables – those cute little prepackaged lunch kits from Oscar Mayer that cost way too much and are loaded with preservatives?
C. Make the same old PB & J sandwich day after day after day?
D. Load up on giant boxes of pre-packaged chips and granola bars from Sam’s Club?
E. Win the “mom of the year” award for always making a creative, healthy lunch that your kids love?
This school year, you’ll save money and get out of the lunch rut when you make your own lunchables. Make your own lunchables? Tell me more!
How to Make Your Own Lunchables
- Start with a compartment lunch container – like the one above from Amazon.
- Fill each compartment with something yummy!
Well, that sounds easy enough, but I need help coming up with something yummy and healthy for each compartment!
School Lunch Ideas
Print this list of 20+ school lunch ideas, and you’ll be well on your way to earning your “Mom of the Year” badge!
- Think beyond sandwich bread and think about bagel sandwiches, tortilla wraps or stuffed pita sandwiches.
- Leftover chicken? Make chicken salad.
- Leftover anything…ask yourself if it would be good for lunch.
- Tuna Salad
- Egg Salad
- Pimiento Cheese
- Shaped Sandwiches using Cookie Cutters
- Do they love Uncrustables? Make your own with a Wonder Sandwich Sealer N Decruster
- Fruit Salad
- Apple Slices
- Cheese Cubes
- Baby Carrots
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Celery
- Sliced Cucumber
- Hard-Boiled Egg
- Pasta Salad
- Trial Mix – make your own with nuts, dried fruit and chocolate chips
Please leave a comment to share your favorite frugal and healthy school lunch ideas.
Remember…next time your child is begging you to buy Lunchables – be frugal, be healthy and make your own lunchables.
In full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links to help support The Budget Diet girl! My advice will always be unbiased and free, but free won’t pay the bills! Thanks!