The lazy, unscheduled, relaxing days of summer will soon be gone! Those lazy summer days will be replaced with football practice, homework, dance class, scout meetings, school events, church youth groups…..HELP! ORGANIZE MY OVER-SCHEDULED LIFE!
The Budget Diet girl has 2 essential items to keep you sane this school year, it’s time management for moms!
- A calendar
- A family notebook
Calendar – As simple as it may sound, some sort of calendar is a “must have.”
I’m afraid that many of us have become dependent upon reminder e-mails instead of keeping a real calendar, and that leads to living a disorganized, hectic & stressful life!
So, if you have a calendar…USE IT! If you don’t have a calendar, the new school year is the perfect time to start!
- Keeping your calendar with you at all times. This will save you the time of having to tell someone, “I’ll check my calendar and get back with you.”
- Make sure your children know where it is, so they can check it!
I’m an old-fashioned paper calendar in the purse person, but electronic calendars are great. Please use a calendar system that works for you…the important part is: USE IT!
Family Notebook – When you’re out buying school supplies, buy an extra 3-ring binder and set of dividers or even better, make use of an old notebook!
It’s time to make a “family notebook” and organize your life!
What’s a family notebook? It’s an organizational system or “one stop shop” for phone lists, schedules and rosters for every activity that your family is involved in. Our family notebook includes the following sections:
- High School – I keep a copy of the boys schedules & a school calendar in this section.
- Middle School – My daughter’s class schedule, calendar and PTO information.
- Neigborhood – Our neighborhood directory can be found here!
- Golf Team – Roster & schedule.
- Boy Scouts – Roster & calendar.
- Dance – Roster & calendar.
- Church – The roster for a church organization that I’m involved in plus High School & Middle School Youth group schedules.
- Back Pocket of Notebook – We use this for birthday party invitations!
Once you’ve completed your family notebook, keep it in the drawer with the phone books and make sure your family knows where this important resource is!
Need more ideas? ListPlanIt.com has hundreds of printable lists to put your world in order!
Here’s to being organized this school year!
In full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links to help support The Budget Diet girl! My advice will always be unbiased and free, but free won’t pay the bills! Thanks!
Great post about keeping organized with a calendar and notebook/binder. My little one isn’t in school yet, but we’ll be doing these things in a few years 🙂