Irish Soda Bread
Irish Soda Bread is made with basic ingredients and does not require rising! It's slightly sweet and makes a nice breakfast bread...try it for St. Patrick's Day!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk OR make your own buttermilk by combining 1½ cups milk and 1½ tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice - let stand 5 minutes
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and stir in buttermilk and melted butter.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Add raisins.
- Stir until moistened.
- Sprinkle counter with flour, place dough on counter and knead several times.
- Form dough into 2 balls.
- Place the dough balls in the pans...do not spread out.
- Using scissors, cut an "X" in the top of each dough ball.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until light brown.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cool completely.