Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal Packets
If you're buying instant oatmeal packets, it's time to learn to make your own instant oatmeal! I just priced Quaker Instant Oatmeal at the grocery, and it's $4 for 10 packets. The store brand is $2.61 for 10 packets. Guess what? You can make 10 packets in less than 5 minutes for about $1!
- 5 cups quick cooking oats
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- raisins, craisins, other dried fruit, nuts, maple syrup (optional)
- 10 sandwich size zip top bags
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- If desired, add ½ cup of dried fruit and/or ½ cup of nuts.
- Put a heaping ½ cup in each zip top bag.*
- To prepare, dump the bag into a large bowl and add 1 cup of water.
- Microwave for 1½ - 2½ minutes depending on the power of your microwave.
- If desired, drizzle with maple syrup.
Save the baggies and just leave the instant oatmeal mixture in a container in your pantry along with a ½ cup measurer and instructions for preparation.