Somebody who loves me gave me a Cheesecake Factory gift card, and Saturday night I was craving a huge slice of Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake. If you’re not familiar with this amazing dessert, let me tempt your taste buds with the layers of chocolate cake, caramel coconut pecan frosting, cheesecake and chocolate frosting…oh my! Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake was born when Cheesecake and German Chocolate Cake decided to get married and have a baby…got it?
And so the saga begins. When I returned home and eagerly opened my Cheesecake Factory bag, I realized my craving would not be immediately satisfied. The waiter accidentally gave me Craig’s Crazy Carrot Cake Cheesecake. Delicious but not chocolate, and not what I ordered. It was late, so I ate the Craig’s Crazy Carrot Cake Cheesecake, and I went to bed dreaming about Chris. Darn it…I ordered Chris not Craig!
The next morning I could not get that craving out of my head. I even pulled up a copycat recipe for Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake, but upon further review I realized that was an all day project. And then a sugar-spark went off in my head…why not create Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake Bars? I was thinking of something similar to Gooey Butter Cake, and I fired up my oven, pulled out my beaters and started baking.
Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake Bars totally satisfied my craving, so the next time the waiter gives me the wrong order…I’ll know what to do! Actually, I’ll be wiser next time and check the bag before I walk out the door. Of course, making Chris’ Outrageous Cheesecake Bars is the frugalicious alternative.
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup coconut
- 1, 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 box of powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Beat together cake mix, softened butter, 1 egg and water until combined.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, pecans and coconut on top of the cake mix layer and gently press.
- Beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, 2 eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over the cake mixture.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until gold brown.
- Cool completely and cut into squares.