If your daughter is looking for a fun and festive birthday party, it’s time for a FIESTA!
Ages: This party is ideal for girls ages 8-11
Invitiation: Roll up a colorful piece of paper that’s printed with the party details and tie with colorful curling ribbons.
Decorations: Think colorful and think about using items you have around the house. Do you have any Mexican decorations tucked away in a cabinet or a bright Mexican blanket that could be used as a tablecloth? How about twinkling Christmas lights hanging in the party room? Could you pick up a couple rolls of crepe paper (about $1 each), and hang crepe paper streamers like a curtain in a doorway? Why don’t you use a piñata for both an activity and decoration; likewise for tissue paper flowers that I’ll teach you to make below!
- Make Tissue Paper Flowers
- Precut 4″ squares of tissue paper in a variety of colors.
- Let each child choose 6 squares in a variety of colors.
- Stack the squares on top of each other
- Fold the tissue paper like a fan into 1″ folds.
- Twist a pipe cleaner around the middle of the “fan” and continue twisting the pipe cleaner together to make a stem.
- Gently separate the pieces of tissue paper to make a flower.
- Tissue paper flowers are cute in their hair, in a vase, etc.
- You can always make these flowers bigger or smaller by starting with different sized squares of tissue paper.
Make Bracelets using Colorful Beads
- Piñata – A Fiesta wouldn’t be complete without a Piñata filled with candy! Make it extra special by adding Pesos (or pennies) that the girls will use for the final activity…a Mexican Market. Pick up some colorful gift bags from the Dollar Store for the girls to collect their candy and pesos in.
- Mexican Market – a fun way to do party favors! – Let the girls shop for their party favors with the pesos from the Piñata. My daughter was 9 when we did this party, and she loved picking out all the goodies for the market…of course, I gave her a budget!
Food – Make Your Own Nacho Bar – a “make your own” is a great way to please everyone!
- Tortilla Chips
- Taco Meat Recipe – 1 lb. ground beef, 1 cup picante sauce, 1 can chili beans (do not drain)…brown beef, add picante sauce & beans. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Grated Mexi-Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Tomato or Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
Birthday Cake – I don’t have a special Mexican birthday cake, but The Budget Diet girl’s motto is: Bake It, Don’t Buy It. You can bake a cake for a fraction of the cost, and it will taste so much better than a bakery cake. Try my frugalicious and fast recipes for Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake and Pretty Pink Cake…they’re always a hit!