Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
I'm a Texan, so Tex-Mex food is a must at least once a week in our house. Mexican Rice is the perfect and obligatory side dish, and it's so easy to make. Why waste money on those overpriced boxes of Mexican Rice when you can make your own for a fraction of the cost? I used to make Paula Dean's Mexican Rice...it was delicious, but it was not an easy Mexican rice recipe. The Budget Diet Girl prefers recipes with just a handful of ingredients that are usually ready and waiting in the pantry. I always have rice, and I always have a jar of salsa...why can't that be the start of an Easy Mexican Rice?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 small onion diced or ½ cup of frozen chopped onions
- 1 cup white or brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion until lightly browned.
- Add rice, chicken broth and salsa.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes for white rice (45 minutes for brown rice) or until all the liquid is absorbed.
*Looking for a shortcut? Instead of sautéing the onion, just add all the ingredients to your pot, bring to a bowl, reduce heat to low, cover and cook (20 minutes for white rice, 45 minutes for brown rice).