Chili is the official state food of Texas, and it’s a great comfort food recipe on a cold night! My Chili recipe starts with a homemade chili seasoning mix. Stop buying the expensive package of premade chili seasoning because it will take less than 5 minutes and cost less than $1 to make a big batch of homemade chili seasoning to use all season long!
Chili Seasoning Recipe:
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- Stir together all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
Now that you’ve made your chili seasoning, you’ll be able to whip up a delicious bowl of chili in no time!
- 2 lbs. ground beef or lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup chili seasoning mix (see The Budget Diet’s Chili Seasoning Recipe)
- 2 cans Rotel tomatoes (mild or hot depending on how spicy you like your chili)
- 1, 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1, 16 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1, 16 oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Sprinkle ground beef with chili seasoning mix and stir to combine.
- Stir in Rotel, tomato sauce, black beans and pinto beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In Texas we love to use our chili to make Frito Pie…give it a try!
- Mexican Blend Cheese or Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Put a handful of Fritos in the bottom of your bowl.
- Top with chili and cheese
- Enjoy a Texas favorite!
The Budget Diet hopes you’ll add Chili to your list of frugalicious and fast recipes!