If you’re a do-it-yourselfer and need a kitchen update…Rust-Oleum has a new product designed to turn your laminate countertops into faux granite in 1 weekend! Rust-Oleum’s Countertop Transformation kit covers 30 square feet for a little less than $200, and everything you need is in the box other than the brushes and rollers.
The four step countertop transformation process:
- Sand the laminate or formica countertop and wipe clean.
- Apply the base coat with a roller.
- Choose from 5 faux-granite colors and spread the color chips with the dispenser…it’s kind of like sifting flour!
- Sand and smooth the dried chips.
- Roll on the glossy top coat. After the top coat is applied, the counters must dry 48 hours before light use and 7 days before normal use.
It almost sounds too good to be true, so I read a few reviews and put together a synopsis of the comments:
- It’s a 2 person job.
- Base coat dries very quickly so work in sections.
- The kit seems to cover a little less area than it claims, so figure on the 30 square foot kit covering about 25 square feet.
- The dessert sand color appears to be the most popular and best looking. The onyx color had lots of complaints.
- The top coat puts out a lot of fumes, so be careful with kids and pets.
- Great way to update a kitchen without spending a fortune.
Overall, this product gets positive reviews, and with Rust-Oleum’s 100% money back guarantee it’s certainly worth a try!
Please leave a comment to let me know if you’ve used Rust-Oleum’s Countertop Transformation Kit or feel free to share any other tips for inexpensively updating a kitchen.