While you’re in the midst of putting your budget on a diet, redecorating your home has surely been demoted from the “Need” list to the “Want-but-definitely-can’t-have” list. Yet, you’re really itching for a fresh look and a new vibe around the place. What to do, what to do?
Repurpose, of course!
Redecorate by Repurposing
Repurposing is simply using items you already have in new ways. You can snag these items from other rooms, the basement, the attic or even the room you’re looking to redecorate. Items can include furniture, knickknacks, artwork, photographs, rugs, pillows, window treatments and more. Want to get started? Here are some diy home decor tips:
1. Gather old photographs, recent snapshots or your children’s artwork and have them matted and framed to display collage-style. When grouping pictures together, vary the sizes, shapes and colors to add interest.
2. Add fringe, cording, satin or ribbon to the edges of window treatments or pillows to add extra punch. Choose a complementary but unexpected color and texture.
3. Use leftover wallpaper to cover lampshades and desk accessories, or to line a basket or shelf.
4. Pull out all the vases and decanters you got as wedding gifts (you know, the ones that have never seen the light of day), and group them together in varying heights, shapes and textures to create a visually enticing display. Add fresh flowers, seashell potpourri, grass, sand or citrus fruit for a splash of nature.
5. Use a small dresser or armoire in the bathroom to hold towels, bath tissue, personal care items and more. A piece of furniture in your loo is both unexpected and fun – not to mention incredibly practical!
6. Pillows, throw blankets, area rugs, photos, knick-knacks, lamps and more can all be shifted into other rooms. Think of how fun it will be to spot the pillows from your den resting happily on your bed instead.
7. Arrange a décor swap with friends and neighbors. Their window panels for your area rug. Or your antique trunk for their coffee table. The possibilities are endless. Throw a few cocktails into the mix at your swap meet and you just might end up with a really great score!
These are just a few ideas to get you started on your quest to redecorate by repurposing. Always remember to keep your eye out for hidden treasures in your garage, attic and basement as well as at the homes of friends and relatives. You never know what you might find.
written by: Liberty Kontranowski
Liberty Kontranowski is a freelance writer and blogger with hundreds of featured articles published online and in print, covering everything from health to parenting to beauty, fashion, entertainment and more.
Image courtesy of Winnond / FreeDigitalPhotos.net