Festive and Frugal Gift Ideas
Here’s a gift giving guide with unusual gifts that you won’t find in any ads, and these gifts are sure to please!
The Budget Diet girl’s gift guide includes: annual gifts, collections, semi-homemade gifts and fun things to do! Of course, all items are budget friendly!
Annual Gifts – gifts you can give year after year! Once you discover the perfect annual gift, gift giving is easy!
- Bed and Breakfast Gift Certificate – Our parents are in the downsizing stage of life, and they have made it clear that they don’t need any more stuff! Our answer has been to give them a mini-vacation at a Bed and Breakfast Inn. They know to expect the Bed and Breakfast gift certificate, but they are surprised each year by the destination. I call this an annual gift, and it’s one less gift idea we have to come up with each year! Even better, have all your siblings split the cost! If your parents aren’t the bed and breakfast type, check out the Groupon Getaways on the right side of this page for some amazing travel deals!
Collections – start a collection for someone, and each year add to it! After the first year, it’s a no-brainer!
- Charm Bracelet – Start a charm bracelet for a pre-teen, and you’ll know exactly what to give her for years to come! Sterling silver charms can be purchased for as little as $6.
- Junior League Cookbooks – Ideal for a newlywed that enjoys cooking! Start her a collection of Junior League cookbooks from across the country, and you can add to it each Christmas!
- Christmas Ornaments – Who doesn’t love a beautiful ornament? Start a collection of ornaments for a loved one, and add to it each Christmas. My sister-in-law started my daughter on the Reed & Barton crosses the year she was born! She now has 12 beautiful ornaments, and our tree will miss those ornaments when she is grown! Of course, the Budget Diet girl doesn’t recommend starting an expensive Reed & Barton collection, but how about a beautiful Waterford Heirloom ornament for less than $10 at Homegoods, T.J. Maxx or Marshalls or starting a collection of Angel ornaments? Christmas Ornaments are great for young girls and even better for newlyweds!
Semi-Homemade Gifts – it’s more than just the thought! These gifts will provide memories for years to come!
- Create A Cookbook – It’s an ambitious project, but once you’ve typed all the recipes in your computer…you’ll be able to print a copy for any occasion! You might start this project in the New Year, and you’ll be ready for bridal showers, graduations and next Christmas! Learn how to write your own cookbook for as little as $20!
- Photo Book – Did you have a big family reunion this summer or did you go on a family vacation with the whole gang? Put together a photo book, it’s a gift that will be treasured for years to come! Right now, Shutterfly has photo books for 40% off!
Fun Things to Do – think outside the gift box! Some of my favorite gifts over the years have been gift certificates for fun things to do like a pedicure or a day at the zoo!
- Family Gift – Think about giving a family gift instead of individual gifts…who wouldn’t love a family trip to the zoo? To save on this gift, make sure to check Groupon since they specialize in discounts on fun things to do! I’ve seen golf outings, tickets to sporting events, day spa gift certificates and more on Groupon.
- Gifts with Activity – How about a children’s cookbook with a note for them to choose a recipe and come over to make it? Do you enjoy scrapbooking or knitting? I’m sure there’s a little girl in your life that would love for you to take the time to teach them how to scrapbook or knit!
I hope this gift guide has helped you check some folks off your list!
Image courtesy of: Master isolated images / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
In full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links to help support The Budget Diet girl! My advice will always be unbiased and free, but free won’t pay the bills! Thanks!
Great gift ideas! I used to love collecting charms for my bracelet…that would be a great idea for a young girl.
These are great ideas – I started a charm bracelet for my daughter, and we love finding symbolic additions each year. We also started the Christmas ornament tradition…she loves them!
Awesome list! Thanks so much for sharing! It’s like every year I dont want to get the same gift every year to the same person, Love this list!