B. watching TV
E. outdoor activities
If you answered “shopping”, and you’re trying to cut your spending, it’s time try 20 fun things to do instead of shopping. P.S. – Let this be your new motto: collect moments…not things.
1. Invite a friend over for coffee – It’s easy, cheap and a great way to catch up face to face.
2. Call a friend and catch-up – Social media is great for keeping up with friends, but don’t dismiss the power of a phone call.
3. Play a board game with your family – Our family favorites are Pictionary, Yahtzee and Who Knew.
4. Sign-up for free samples – Ahhh, the joy of finding free samples in your mailbox!
5. Go to the library – The frugal alternative to going to a bookstore.
6. Read a book on your porch – Doesn’t this sound relaxing?
7. Shop your closet and put together a “new” outfit – Get out of your wardrobe rut and be creative. It’s like playing dress-up for grown-ups. Don’t forget about your accessories…belts, scarves and jewelry!
8. Go to the park – Perfect for a beautiful day..
9. Bake something yummy – And invite a neighbor over for dessert.
10. Pick flowers – Grab a vase and brighten a room.
11. Take a walk – Fresh air never hurt anybody.
12. Watch a movie – Look for a free movie on TV or check out a DVD from your local library.
13. Go on a bike ride – Find a bike trail, explore your neighborhood or bike to your library.
14. Rearrange your furniture – Just like when you were little and rearranged your bedroom!
15. Find a free event in your city – Do a simple internet search for “free events in _________. The results may surprise you.
16. Go to the beach – Collect seashells, put them in a large vase or jar for a little frugal decor.
17. Have a spa day at home – Try these simple recipes for homemade spa treatments using ingredients you likely have in your kitchen.
18. Enjoy a picnic – Keep it frugal by using food you already have.
19. Go for a hike – If you have a state or national park nearby, hit the nature trail.
20. Make something – Get crafty and use up supplies you already have. One of my favorite rainy day crafts is decoupage…I’ve decoupaged a wall of postcards, and I’ve spent weeks clipping phrases from magazines to made a decoupaged clipboard.
If you really must shop, limit yourself to using gift cards you already have OR limit yourself to thrift stores only.
Please leave a comment to share your favorite things to do instead of shopping.