Many people are attracted to the thought of working from home. They may seek out easy jobs such as taking surveys and performing other online tasks from their computer. There are hundreds of sites out there that allow you to earn money, gift cards and other rewards.
MyPoints and Swagbucks are two sites that have millions of users. Both use a points system that can be converted into real money. You can earn your way toward extra cash in your pocket by performing simple tasks such as taking surveys, watching videos, shopping online, looking for deals and searching the web.
Once you save up a certain number of points, you can convert them into money in your PayPal account or a gift card from a variety of popular retailers.
Both MyPoints and Swagbucks are owned by the same company. Which one is better? Which one should you choose? Read on to get an in-depth look at these two sites and learn more about their benefits and disadvantages so you can make an informed decision.
What is MyPoints?
MyPoints has been around since 1996. The basis of MyPoints is pretty simple. You earn points by shopping online, purchasing local deals (through Groupon or Living Social), reading email, taking surveys, watching videos, finding deals, discovering new content, searching the internet, printing coupons, playing games and referring friends.
You can view your points opportunities on the home page. You can see the surveys you qualify for, as well as view featured offers, view points for various stores and see video playlists.
If you enjoy online shopping, check MyPoints first. The site boasts numerous coupon codes for various retailers. You can search by categories or expiration date.
You then use these points to redeem for gift cards or cash. Gift card amounts range from $3 to $500. You will need anywhere from 480 points to 15,960 points, depending on the amount of gift card you desire. Choose from more than 70 popular retailers, including eBay, Amazon, Best Buy, CVS, Burger King, Facebook, iTunes, Home Depot, Kohl’s, Old Navy, Starbucks, Target and many more.
If you prefer cash, choose the PayPal option. You will need 3,970 points for $25, 7,940 points for $50 and 15,870 points for $100. Airline miles are also available.
Pros of MyPoints
Why should you try MyPoints? Here are some of the benefits:
- The site is very well organized. The site is user friendly and intuitive. You can easily view the various ways in which you can earn points.
- There are many rewards to choose from. You can opt for cash, airline miles or a wide variety of gift cards in various amounts. You have a lot of choices.
- There are many tasks to choose from. If you don’t like doing surveys or don’t shop online, for example, you can still participate and earn a lot of points for other activities.
- It’s fun to use. If you’re looking for a fun way to pass the time, MyPoints can prevent boredom and help you earn rewards at the same time.
- It’s 100 percent free. You never have to pay anything to sign up. Try for free without any obligation.
Cons of MyPoints
There are some things that users do not like about the MyPoints site. They include the following:
- You don’t earn many points. The number of points you get for each activity are so low. For example, you get only 10 points for taking a survey and six points for watching a 38-minute video. To receive the $25 cash option, it could take you a couple months, and that’s if you use the site every day.
- It’s hard to complete a survey. Users have reported spending 20 minutes on a survey, only to become disqualified. This can be frustrating and a waste of time.
- Customer service is subpar. Many users have complained of not receiving their points or even their rewards once they cash out. Users have filed complaints, only to have them ignored.
- It’s not a real job. Don’t expect to earn regular income on this site. It’s good for killing time, but if you really need money, it’s time for a real job.
What is Swagbucks?
Like MyPoints, Swagbucks allows you to earn points for participating in online activities. You can get paid for shopping at more than 1,500 retailers by earning points for every dollar you spend.
You can also earn points for watching videos, filling out surveys, check out free samples, sign up for new services, search the internet and play games. Download the app and you can even earn points while on the go. Perfect for the times you’re waiting at the doctor’s office or need to kill time.
To earn the most points, it’s recommended that you set your browser search engine to Swagbucks Search. It is also recommended that you take your time when doing the surveys and answer honestly. If you speed through the surveys or answer dishonestly, you will be disqualified.
There are several rewards you can choose from. When you accrue 2,500 points, you can cash out and get $25 deposited in your PayPal account. You can also opt for gift cards in various amounts.
Choose from retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, Target, iTunes, Nike, Cabela’s, Kohl’s, Sam’s Club, Best Buy, Starbucks and Burger King. You can also choose from various gas cards to fill up your tank. You can also donate your points to charity. All you need is five points.
Pros of Swagbucks
There are many reasons why people enjoy using Swagbucks, including the following:
- You only have to be 13 years old to sign up. Your teenager can earn money by doing simple tasks online. Many companies don’t hire employees this young, so it’s a great opportunity for your high schooler to earn some gas money or spending cash while working in the safety of their own home.
- It’s totally free to use. You never have to pay any fees to sign up and earn money. If you’re curious about the site, try it today because you have nothing to lose.
- It’s easy to use. Even if you have little technology experience, you can easily use this site. It’s very intuitive and not complicated at all.
- The tasks on Swagbucks are easy. It’s not rocket science. You’ll be filling out surveys, shopping online, watching videos and performing web searches – all thing that you probably already do online anyway.
- There are many rewards to choose from. Nothing beats good old cash, but sometimes users opt for the gift cards to use as birthday or Christmas presents for friends and family. You have many options to choose from, and no matter your interests, you’re sure to find something you like.
- Sign up now and get a $10 bonus. Sounds easy enough, but read the fine print. You must spend at least $25 at a store featured in the Swagbucks Shop within 30 days after registration. You will then receive a 1000-point bonus, which is equivalent to $10.
Cons of Swagbucks
No website is perfect. While Swagbucks does offer some nice perks, it has some disadvantages that users need to be aware of, such as the following:
- It won’t make you rich. Many people use these types of sites with high expectations. Swagbucks, however, is not meant to replace your current income. It can help you make a few bucks here and there in your space time, but it’s not an actual job. In fact, many users claim to make only one cent a minute, which comes out to less than $1 an hour.
- The Swagbucks search engine is lacking. If you typically use Google, you’ll notice a huge difference if you switch to the Swagbucks search engine. Even though it is powered by Yahoo, it’s not as comprehensive and sometimes comes back with unrelated results.
- Lots of ads. If you choose to watch videos, you’ll have to deal with a lot of ads, which can be annoying.
- The quality of the mobile app is poor. Users have complained about the video quality on the mobile app. Not all the tasks are available on the mobile app. In addition, the app tends to crash frequently.
- It can be hard to qualify for surveys. You may waste 10 minutes or more on a survey just to find out you are suddenly disqualified. Finding a survey that you can actually complete can be time-consuming.
Which Site Should You Choose?
Many people prefer Swagbucks because they claim it is easier to earn rewards there. Plus, there have been some complaints about MyPoints and how users tend to consistently get kicked out of surveys. The customer service has been known to be subpar as well.
No matter which site you choose, you have to spend a lot of time on it in order to accumulate rewards. This may be fine if you’re a stay-at-home parent and have nothing else to do in your spare time. But with most users earning just a few dollars per month, it’s definitely not the way to pay bills and earn a regular income.
While using Swagbucks or MyPoints may be more fun that your day job, don’t quit it just yet. These sites are just something to do in addition to – not instead of – your regular job. However, both sites are free to use, so what have you got to lose?