Shopping online is convenient for everybody who has a computer or smartphone. We all live busy lives and sometimes we just don’t feel like driving out of our way to go clothes shopping or pick up toilet paper. With just a few clicks, you can get your everyday essentials and everything else you need delivered to your door in just a couple days.
Some consumers prefer to go to the online sites of their favorite retailers, such as Walmart and Target. Many more opt for Amazon. If you’re looking for an alternative to Amazon, consider Jet.com or Boxed.com.
Both of these online retailers are similar to Amazon. They offer a wide variety of products at low prices. But not all stores are created equally. Just like everything, they have their pros and cons.
Jet.com vs. Boxed.com: which store you should choose? We’ve done the research for you so you can decide which one would best fit your needs. Both of these are good options for those who want to save money, but we’ll compare both and let you decide by informing you of the benefits and disadvantages of each.
What is Jet.com?
Jet.com is basically a toned-down version of Amazon. It has everything from household goods to beauty supplies to pet supplies to gifts to electronics to toys to baby products. It also carries and has a wholesale section for consumers who prefer to buy in bulk.
Like Amazon, it requires no membership fees. But the pricing model is a bit different. On Jet.com, you see a starting price for each item. But that price does not have to remain static. You can lower that price just by selecting a few options. For example, if you buy multiple items, pay by debit card and opt out of free returns, the price drops. Depending on the options you select, you may be able to save a quarter or two, so the price savings is not too significant. But hey, every penny counts, right?
What is Boxed.com?
Boxed.com focuses on making shopping for bulk items easy, fun and convenient. The site specializes in bulk products at wholesale prices. Boxed.com is like going to Costco or Sam’s Club without having to leave your house. Many of us don’t live near one of them anyway, so instead of driving an hour to your closest one, you can buy in bulk online. You even get free samples included in your orders. No membership fees are required, unlike brick and mortar warehouse stores.
Boxed.com specializes in office supplies, such as food, household goods and cleaning supplies. You can, however, also find toys, games, pet supplies and appliances. The inventory is not as great as Amazon or even Jet.com, but it should be improving.
Pros of Jet.com
Jet.com offers the following benefits:
- Free two-day shipping on orders of $35 or more.
- No membership fees.
- Unique pricing model. Prices get lower if you buy two or more of the same item, use a debit card or opt out of free returns.
- Large variety of products to choose from. There are literally thousands of items to choose from. For the most part, Jet.com has the same items that Amazon does – sometimes they are even at lower prices.
- Lots of deals and promos. For example, right now you can get 20 percent off kitchen appliances and 25 percent off shoes. You can also sign up for emails and receive exclusive promo codes to save you money on your next purchase.
- Earn JetCash. This perk isn’t really advertised much, but if you buy certain products or refer friends, you can earn JetCash that can be applied to a future order.
- Easy reorder. Want to order something again? No problem! No need to search for it again. Just click the Easy Reorder link at the top of the page, choose the item you want by adding it to the cart and check out as usual.
- Cheaper overall than Boxed.com. Boxed.com beats Jet.com in some products, but overall, if you’re looking for the better deal, choose Jet.com. Some of their products are even cheaper than Amazon.
Cons of Jet.com
The following are some things that Jet.com can improve upon:
- Search function is not that efficient. Sometimes Jet.com has a hard time finding you the product you’re looking for unless you type in the exact product name. It should be able to find you what you need based on a couple words, so this can be frustrating.
- Lack of product selection. While they have numerous products to choose from, you won’t find a lot of variety for each product. For example, while they have shampoo, they may not have the brand that you’re used to buying.
- Many of the products on the site are from competitors. Jet.com gives the appearance that it has more products than it really does by showing products from competitors. If you purchase one of these products on the Jet.com site, the company buys it at a loss, which seems like an odd business model.
- Products are not always delivered on time. Two-day shipping is advertised, but it’s not always a given. Jet.com tends to experience delays from time to time, especially during the holidays. If you need something by a certain date, order early so it can arrive in time.
- Some customers have found that the customer service is not up to par. Some have reported delivery issues, with packages going to the wrong address or arriving with items damaged.
Pros of Boxed.com
Boxed.com offers the following benefits:
- Free shipping on your first order.
- Two-day shipping on all orders.
- Boxed.com carries brands that Jet.com does not.
- If you sign up for emails, you can receive promo codes and special savings.
- Boxed.com runs weekly specials. You also get promotional coupons (typically 10 percent off) with every purchase.
- Overall, Boxed.com is cheaper than Costco and even Amazon in some cases.
- You can choose two free samples with every order. The samples often include food, beverages and paper products.
- Customers have rave reviews about customer service and the returns process.
- Join Boxed Rewards and receive a $5 credit for every $500 you spend. This can add up quickly if you shop on a regular basis and spend a lot of money there.
Cons of Boxed.com
The following are some things that Boxed.com can improve upon:
- You must reach $49 in order to get free shipping. While $49 vs. $35 may not seem like a huge difference, it is if you’re shopping for just a few small items. You must then decide if you should buy more to reach the $49 threshold or suck it up and pay the shipping fee.
- The minimum order threshold is $30. If you’re one of those people who prefers to buy an item at a time, you may have trouble reaching $30.
- Lack of product selection. For toilet paper, you may have just several choices. Jet.com offers much more in terms of products and variety.
- Boxed.com does not deliver to P.O. Boxes. You must deliver your items to a physical address.
- While anyone can shop at Boxed.com, it is geared more toward business owners. Jet.com is preferred because it caters to the average consumer.
- Everything is in bulk. If you’re a household of just 1-2 people, you probably don’t need a 64-pack of toilet paper. As such, this may not be the best option for you.
- You have to create an account even if you just want to look through the product selection. Before you look at the products, you’ll need to enter your email address and sign up. This can be a drawback, since many of us receive so much unwanted email.
Boxed.com is the better choice for business owners and those who prefer to buy in bulk (large families, organizations, etc.). You’ll get more for your money, and if you purchase multiple items, the $49 free shipping threshold will likely not be too huge of a deal. You don’t get a wide variety, however, so you may have to choose a brand that you’re not used to.
Jet.com is a good alternative for those who enjoy the prices and selection of Amazon, but are looking for something different. Jet does not have quite the selection that Amazon does, but it does have numerous products. Jet.com has a lower free shipping threshold than Boxed.com, at just $35, so you can easily get what you need without overspending. Jet.com is preferred if you need just a couple items and don’t need to shop in bulk.
Both Boxed.com and Jet.com are great places to shop if you’re looking to save money on products you buy often. They offer many benefits such as competitive prices and fast two-day shipping. No matter which one you choose, you’ll save time, money and hassle.