Last Updated on by
It’s fall fashion week in New York with endless pageants of the latest styles beckoning to enter our wardrobes.
Fall fashion week also happens to coincide with the first cool front of the season for most of the country.
So…when you see the new styles and feel a chill in the air, do you get the urge to update your wardrobe?
If you answered “yes”, I’d like to give you a few rules to help you keep it frugal this fall.
Rules for Affordable Fall Fashion 2014
- Get Organized – Before you add to your wardrobe, de-clutter and organize your closet. My 5 Easy Steps to an Organized Closet will help you tackle this task in no time. Organizing your closet is actually a money-making task because you’ll likely have a pile to take to the consignment shop.
- Make a List – Now that your closet is organized, it’s time to make a list of your “needs.” Closet cleaning always makes us realize that we don’t need another pair of black pants or another pair of jeans. Try to make a list of items that will expand your wardrobe with minimal expense, and please don’t go crazy with too many trendy pieces because what’s in today might be out tomorrow. Maybe a faux fur scarf or a chunky gold necklace will bring an old outfit up-to-date.
- Refuse to Pay Full Price – Think beyond a sale. Don’t get me wrong…a sale is a good thing, but don’t stop there! Find a coupon from a site like RetailMeNot.com, shop with a discounted gift card from CardCash.com“>CardCash.com or if you’re shopping online, earn cash back from Ebates. Personally, I buy almost everything from the Goodwill on Palm Beach or consignment stores.
- Love It – Only buy pieces that you absolutely LOVE. Outfits that make you feel fabulous and fit perfectly. If you spend money on an item that’s just OK, chances are it will hang in your closet with the tags on until your next cleaning project.
Affordable Fall Fashion 2014
This season, you can add just a few key pieces to your wardrobe and feel totally up-to-date. So, what’s trendy and affordable? The Budget Diet Girl suggests…
- Wide Leg Pants or Jumpsuit – Could you pair a long sleeve turtleneck with the palazzo pants you bought for summer?
- Mod 60’s Inspired Dress – You know, the short hemline, mod print and A-line skirt. Check out those vintage clothing stores!
- Chunky Faux Gold Necklace – Do you have one in your jewelry box that you’ve forgotten about?
- Fur – Faux, of course! It doesn’t have to be a coat; opt for a scarf or a small handbag instead.
- Something Green – It’s the color of the season!
- Backpack – Replace your tote bag with a backpack. Don’t worry, you don’t have to look like a school girl…try a leather one or look for a fun fabric print.
Here’s to a season of frugal fall fashion!
Happy Shopping and Saving.
In full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links to help support The Budget Diet girl! My advice will always be unbiased and free, but free won’t pay the bills! Thanks!