The definition of frugal according to Dictionary.com… fru·gal 1. economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful. Synonyms: thrifty, chary, provident, careful, prudent, penny-wise, scrimping; miserly, Scotch, penny-pinching. Antonyms: wasteful, extravagant, spendthrift, prodigal, profligate. 2…. Read More >
Budget Cupid is here to help put a little romance in your life for less this Valentine’s Day with 10 cheap date ideas! 10 Cheap Date Ideas for Valentine’s Day Enjoy Chocolate Dipped Strawberries and Champagne by the… Read More >
Do you have any frugal friends? Simply surrounding yourself with frugal folks will have a huge impact on your wallet. Think about it… A frugal friend won’t ask you to go out to lunch instead she may ask… Read More >
If you weren’t one of the millions of Americans who took advantage of November and December mega sales like Black Friday or those crazy after-Christmas clearances, you missed the lines and the crowds, but you didn’t necessarily miss… Read More >
Who wants to travel more and spend less this year? The Budget Diet girl has 6 great ways for you save on travel! Deal First, Destination Second – This is The Budget Diet’s motto when it comes to… Read More >
The average family of four spends $800 – $1000 a month on food (groceries and eating out), so there’s plenty of room to cut food costs! Recently, I was working with a family on budgeting, and when I… Read More >
Shopping is more fun when you know how to maximize your savings! Paying full price is never any fun, and there’s more to smart shopping than just finding the sales. Try these 17 smart shopping tips, and you’ll… Read More >
The countdown to Christmas is on!
Let the shopping begin!
This year, you will save money on Christmas shopping when you use my 6 savvy shopping secrets!
You’ll learn how to buy a dress at J.C. Penny that is normally $60 for only $27.20, and that’s not just because it’s on sale! Read on and learn the secrets of a savvy shopper!
Plan Ahead, Make Lists
- Planning ahead gives you TIME, and time is required to shop for bargains!
- I love lists because they are one of the best tools for planning ahead and saving money.
- Lists will keep you organized – don’t you hate spending a day of shopping, coming home & realizing you forgot something? Lists will prevent that!
- Lists will help you feel in control especially when you check them off!
- Important lists: gift list, Christmas card list and meal/party planning lists.
- Be prepared, don’t shop without a list!
Preview the Black Friday 2011 Ads
- You don’t have to wait until Thanksgiving Day to look at the Black Friday ads…catch a sneak peek by visiting TheBlackFriday.com. Some ads are already posted!
- Read the fine print! If it says quantities are limited…don’t get your heart set on that deal unless you plan to be one of the first in line.
- Prioritize! You can’t be at all the stores at once, so go for the big ticket items first to maximize your savings OR get your husband to turn off the football game and run few errands!
- Use the internet to compare prices before you hit the stores. Sites like PriceGrabber.com allow you to search by product, compare prices and read reviews.
- Don’t forget your list! It’s easy to get caught up in the frenzy & make impulse purchases.
Buy Discounted Gift Cards
- Do you know that you can buy discounted gift cards to hundreds of stores & restaurants? Even better, nobody will know that you didn’t pay full price!
- Here’s how – go to:
Click on “buy a gift card”, browse the available stores and restaurants and buy cards for any stores you’ll be shopping during the Christmas season.
- Right now you can get a JC Penny gift card for 15% off! I suggest using it when JC Penny is having a big sale and combine it with a coupon from their newspaper ad. Yes, this is how you can buy that $60 dress for only $27.20.
- Discounted gift card inventory changes daily, so check regularly!
- If a gift card you want is sold out, you can set up an alert, and you’ll receive an email when that gift card is available.
- If you shop online, ecodes are available for some discounted gift cards. Once you purchase these, they are immediately available for use.
- Here’s the catch…discounted gift cards take about 1 week to arrive, so order now & be ready to shop Black Friday!
- Sign up for Ebates.com (it’s free) and you’ll earn cash back on your online purchases plus you’ll discover money saving coupon codes.
- Here’s how it works…
- Let’s say I want to make a photo calendar for Christmas.
- Go to ebates.com and on the left side of the page, click on “electronics and photos” to see a list of stores, and how much cash back you’ll earn.
- I discover that Snapfish is offering 20% cash back and a coupon code for free shipping.
- Click shop now & you’ll be taken to the Snapfish site.
- Every 3 months, ebates will send you a BIG FAT CHECK!
- Whenever you’re shopping online, get in the habit of making ebates your first stop! They work with over 1200 stores, so they’ll likely have just what you need!
Learn The Outlet Mall Lingo
- Don’t assume everything’s cheaper just because it came from an outlet mall! Stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Ross & Homegoods frequently offer better deals.
- Do your homework first – you know the drill: make a list and compare prices online before you hit the outlet mall.
- Learn the lingo that you might see on the tags…
- MFO stands for Made for Outlet which means it won’t be the same quality as their regular store.
- Irregular – means slightly imperfect, so inspect carefully! Irregular items are usually a really good deal if you can live with the imperfections.
- Refurbished – these items have been inspected, tested and restored to their original condition. Refurbished items are common in electronics stores, and the prices are great! Just make sure to ask if it comes with the same warranty as a new item (most do!).
Take Advantage of Daily Deals
If you’re not already paying attention to daily deal sites like Groupon and Eversave, today is a great day to start! Groupon has recently started offering nationwide daily deals on great gifts like a personalized children’s book for half price! Check out the Groupon Gift Store today and everyday during the shopping season!
Now you know the secrets of a savvy shopper, so go forth and save money!
READY, SET, SHOP!
Who likes to pay full price? Anybody? Now that we’ve answered that question, let’s look at our options to avoid paying full price. Wait for a Sale – Sales are great as long as the timing is right…. Read More >
Sometimes we all need a little motivation to stick with our frugal lifestyle. If you have days when you wake up and think…I don’t want to clip another coupon, or I just want to shop without having to… Read More >
According to California Closets, the average woman only wears 20% of the clothes in her closet on a regular basis. So start sorting out your clothes and clean out your closets using these 5 Easy Steps to an Organized… Read More >
You’d be crazy to go to Bed Bath and Beyond without a coupon. In fact, you’d be crazy to go to Bed Bath and Beyond without a coupon for each item you’re purchasing. We’ve become so accustomed to… Read More >
Discounted Gift Cards are what I call “no-brainer instant savings,” so it’s time to learn how to buy discounted gift cards. Why would you pay $25 for a pair of shoes at Payless when you can pay $21?… Read More >
If your New Year’s resolution is to Save Your Money, here’s a plan! Do the math…if you cut your spending by just $11 a day, you’ll save just over $4000 a year! How’s that for a New Year’s… Read More >
The gifts have been opened, the parties are over, you’ve gained 5 pounds, and your checking account is begging for mercy! It’s a new year, and it’s time to look for new ways to cut spending. Tips for… Read More >
Money Wasting Habits! Challenge yourself to stop one money wasting habit each month, and soon you’ll be saving nearly $400 a month! I’ve kept each challenge simple and “bite-sized”, and you’ve got a month to master it! There… Read More >
Order discounted gift cards today and you’ll be ready to shop next week! It’s no-brainer instant savings, and nobody will know that you didn’t pay full price! Buy Discounted Gift Cards For Up To 30% Off at Cardpool.com!… Read More >
Christmas shopping? There’s more to saving money than just finding the sales. Don’t get me wrong…I love a good sale, but think of it as your starting point. There are so many ways to save money on Christmas… Read More >
Nowadays, most items can be bought online. Gone are the days when errands had to be run by getting in and out of the car. Save your gas and your sanity by purchasing items online. (And just think… Read More >
Spend Less, Give More Stress Less, Save Money Sound familiar? Is this your plan every Christmas season? Your intentions are great, but how can you really spend less this Christmas? There is more to frugal shopping than just… Read More >