There’s no measuring how proud you are of your high school graduate. Unfortunately, your debit card does have limits. You’d like to buy the kid a new car or gaming system before he or she leaves for college for four years, but many of us can’t exactly afford it. Fear not! The following gifts are sure to please your graduate, your bank account, and the planet.
Budget-Friendly and Eco-Friendly Graduation Gift Ideas
1. Speakers. What 18-year-old doesn’t want to express him- or herself through music?
2. Water-powered clock. This clock doesn’t need batteries. It just needs water! That means fewer trips to the store (and less money spent) by your graduate as well as you.
3. Travel mug. College kids generally love their coffee. If they don’t drink now, they probably will by sophomore year, and that means a lot of paper or Styrofoam cups going into landfills. Get your graduate a trendy coffee mug for those mornings when a brisk walk just isn’t going to give them the boost they need.
4. Reusable water bottle. Sometimes, the mere act of bringing water to the lips is enough to keep college kids awake in a morning or evening class. Plastic bottles are the bane of the environment and stainless steel reusable bottles can more than make up for the cost of disposable bottles even within a week.
5. Flower or herb pot. Although flowers and green things may be the stereotypical mother’s addition to any dorm room, a pot of aromatic lavender or rosemary can help calm any stressed student’s nerves.
6. Full-length mirror. Every college kid—boy or girl—could use one of these. Check out Freecycle, Craigslist, or your local thrift store for cheaper full-length mirrors than you’ll find at Wal-Mart or anywhere else.
7. Staple-free stapler.
8. Rechargeable USB AA batteries.
written by: Bridget Sandorford