Did you know if you cut your spending by $13 a day, you’ll save $400 a month and $4,800 a year! This is currently the most popular article on The Budget Diet, and I’ve just updated it for 2015. Thanks to all the helpful comments. If you’ve read it before, read it again…a little frugal living refresher won’t hurt.
You’re shopping online, You’re filling out the order form, You get to the box that says “coupon code”, and you leave it blank! Never again! Take this pledge: I will never, ever leave the coupon code box blank. Make it your mission… Read More >
Love to entertain, but hate to spend big bucks? Host a Super Bowl Party…on the cheap! There’s very little planning required, and the game keeps everyone entertained. Cheap Super Bowl Party Ideas Invitations Evite.com sends FREE email… Read More >
6 Unique Budget Travel Tips It’s time to re-think how you save money on travel, so you can stop dreaming and start traveling! Deal First, Destination Second The Budget Diet Girl’s money-saving travel wisdom…deal first, destination second. It… Read More >
The Bargain Shopper’s Pledge I promise to make a list and stick to it! I promise to use the internet to compare prices and read product reviews before making purchases. I promise to do everything in my power… Read More >
If the idea of a homemade Halloween costume sounds like an overly ambitious Martha Stewart project, and the thought of a pre-made Halloween costume makes you scream unoriginal and overpriced…these semi-homemade Halloween costumes are your answer. Semi-homemade Halloween… Read More >
Did you know that the average American family spends $400 per child on back to school expenses? Take a look at these 15 easy ways to save on back to school shopping, and I’m sure you’ll find a… Read More >
This year you can overspend on back-to-school shopping, or you can save money on back-to-school shopping with this one simple trick! Save Money on Back to School Shopping Back-to-School Shopping Scenario #1: Your daughter needs school uniforms… Read More >
Interesting question with an interesting answer. According to a recent survey by RetailMeNot and All You Magazine…the answer is: YES! 4 out of 5 people said they would continue to use money-saving shopping tactics even if money were… Read More >
Start all your online shopping trips at Ebates.com, and you’ll discover money saving coupons codes plus earn cash back on your purchases! Sign-up for Ebates today (it’s free) and receive a $10 gift card. Raise your hand if… Read More >
The definition of frugal according to Dictionary.com… fru·gal 1. economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful. Synonyms: thrifty, chary, provident, careful, prudent, penny-wise, scrimping; miserly, Scotch, penny-pinching. Antonyms: wasteful, extravagant, spendthrift, prodigal, profligate. 2…. Read More >
Shopping online? Follow these 5 money-saving tips to make your wallet smile! By the way, there’s more to saving money than just using a coupon code. Money Saving Online Shopping Tips Abandon Your Cart – That’s right, fill… Read More >
Shopping is more fun when you know how to maximize your savings! Paying full price is never any fun, and there’s more to smart shopping than just finding the sales. Try these 17 smart shopping tips, and you’ll… Read More >
The countdown to Christmas is on!
Let the shopping begin!
This year, you will save money on Christmas shopping when you use my 6 savvy shopping secrets!
You’ll learn how to buy a dress at J.C. Penny that is normally $60 for only $27.20, and that’s not just because it’s on sale! Read on and learn the secrets of a savvy shopper!
Plan Ahead, Make Lists
- Planning ahead gives you TIME, and time is required to shop for bargains!
- I love lists because they are one of the best tools for planning ahead and saving money.
- Lists will keep you organized – don’t you hate spending a day of shopping, coming home & realizing you forgot something? Lists will prevent that!
- Lists will help you feel in control especially when you check them off!
- Important lists: gift list, Christmas card list and meal/party planning lists.
- Be prepared, don’t shop without a list!
Preview the Black Friday 2011 Ads
- You don’t have to wait until Thanksgiving Day to look at the Black Friday ads…catch a sneak peek by visiting TheBlackFriday.com. Some ads are already posted!
- Read the fine print! If it says quantities are limited…don’t get your heart set on that deal unless you plan to be one of the first in line.
- Prioritize! You can’t be at all the stores at once, so go for the big ticket items first to maximize your savings OR get your husband to turn off the football game and run few errands!
- Use the internet to compare prices before you hit the stores. Sites like PriceGrabber.com allow you to search by product, compare prices and read reviews.
- Don’t forget your list! It’s easy to get caught up in the frenzy & make impulse purchases.
Buy Discounted Gift Cards
- Do you know that you can buy discounted gift cards to hundreds of stores & restaurants? Even better, nobody will know that you didn’t pay full price!
- Here’s how – go to:
Click on “buy a gift card”, browse the available stores and restaurants and buy cards for any stores you’ll be shopping during the Christmas season.
- Right now you can get a JC Penny gift card for 15% off! I suggest using it when JC Penny is having a big sale and combine it with a coupon from their newspaper ad. Yes, this is how you can buy that $60 dress for only $27.20.
- Discounted gift card inventory changes daily, so check regularly!
- If a gift card you want is sold out, you can set up an alert, and you’ll receive an email when that gift card is available.
- If you shop online, ecodes are available for some discounted gift cards. Once you purchase these, they are immediately available for use.
- Here’s the catch…discounted gift cards take about 1 week to arrive, so order now & be ready to shop Black Friday!
- Sign up for Ebates.com (it’s free) and you’ll earn cash back on your online purchases plus you’ll discover money saving coupon codes.
- Here’s how it works…
- Let’s say I want to make a photo calendar for Christmas.
- Go to ebates.com and on the left side of the page, click on “electronics and photos” to see a list of stores, and how much cash back you’ll earn.
- I discover that Snapfish is offering 20% cash back and a coupon code for free shipping.
- Click shop now & you’ll be taken to the Snapfish site.
- Every 3 months, ebates will send you a BIG FAT CHECK!
- Whenever you’re shopping online, get in the habit of making ebates your first stop! They work with over 1200 stores, so they’ll likely have just what you need!
Learn The Outlet Mall Lingo
- Don’t assume everything’s cheaper just because it came from an outlet mall! Stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, Ross & Homegoods frequently offer better deals.
- Do your homework first – you know the drill: make a list and compare prices online before you hit the outlet mall.
- Learn the lingo that you might see on the tags…
- MFO stands for Made for Outlet which means it won’t be the same quality as their regular store.
- Irregular – means slightly imperfect, so inspect carefully! Irregular items are usually a really good deal if you can live with the imperfections.
- Refurbished – these items have been inspected, tested and restored to their original condition. Refurbished items are common in electronics stores, and the prices are great! Just make sure to ask if it comes with the same warranty as a new item (most do!).
Take Advantage of Daily Deals
If you’re not already paying attention to daily deal sites like Groupon and Eversave, today is a great day to start! Groupon has recently started offering nationwide daily deals on great gifts like a personalized children’s book for half price! Check out the Groupon Gift Store today and everyday during the shopping season!
Now you know the secrets of a savvy shopper, so go forth and save money!
READY, SET, SHOP!
According to California Closets, the average woman only wears 20% of the clothes in her closet on a regular basis. So start sorting out your clothes and clean out your closets using these 5 Easy Steps to an Organized… Read More >
Do you shop online? Do you earn cash back for your online purchases? If not, it’s time to learn how to earn cash back when shopping online. Read my complete Ebates review so you know it isn’t a scam, they’re… Read More >
If your New Year’s resolution is to Save Your Money, here’s a plan! Do the math…if you cut your spending by just $11 a day, you’ll save just over $4000 a year! How’s that for a New Year’s… Read More >
The gifts have been opened, the parties are over, you’ve gained 5 pounds, and your checking account is begging for mercy! It’s a new year, and it’s time to look for new ways to cut spending. Tips for… Read More >
Money Wasting Habits! Challenge yourself to stop one money wasting habit each month, and soon you’ll be saving nearly $400 a month! I’ve kept each challenge simple and “bite-sized”, and you’ve got a month to master it! There… Read More >
The Christmas countdown is on! There are just over 50 days until Christmas; your shopping list is long, but your wallet is short on cash. Thanks to my friends at FreeShipping.org for coming up with some clever ways… Read More >