Shopping is more fun when you know how to maximize your savings!
Paying full price is never any fun, and there’s more to smart shopping than just finding the sales.
Try these 17 smart shopping tips, and you’ll get more for your money.
- Stock up on discounted gift cards for places you normally shop. How does 15% off at JC Penny or Pier 1 sound? Buy Discounted Gift Cards For Up To 30% Off at Cardpool.com!.
- If you shop online, start with Ebates.com – you’ll find coupon codes and earn cash back on every purchase!
- Shopping online? Never leave the coupon code box blank again! Sites like RetailMeNot offer free coupon codes for just about any product you’re shopping for…electronics, fashion, home and garden, books and more.
- Make sure you’re taking advantage of discounts! Check out this list of 133 Military Discounts or 66 Teacher Discounts.
- Get in the habit of shopping Groupon and other deal sites.
- Stop making impulse purchases! Get in the habit of asking yourself if it’s a need or a want.
- Don’t keep up with the Joneses.
- Patience pays! If you make an effort to plan ahead, you’ll have time to find a bargain! Last minute shopping rarely yields big savings.
- Shop garage sales, thrift stores and consignment shops first – you never know what treasures you may find!
- Don’t forget Craigslist and remember almost everyone will negotiate!
- Freecycle.org is like Craigslist, but everything is FREE!
- Try swapping instead of shopping. The average family saves $569 a year by swapping children’s clothes!
- Buy clothing during end of season clearance sales.
- Be thankful for all you have instead of shopping for more.
- Make sure you’re taking advantage of rewards programs at places you regularly shop like CVS, Kroger and Petco. If you’re tired of carrying around all those rewards cards, there’s a free app called Key Ring where you can store them!
- Do you know the best times to buy to maximize your savings? Fall is the best time to buy a grill because stores need to make room for Christmas merchandise. Check out the Best Time to Buy guide with month by month listings.
- Consider homemade gifts and homemade Halloween costumes – you don’t have to be Martha Stewart with my ideas!
Please leave a comment to share your favorite smart shopping strategies. Here’s to a year of shopping and saving!
In full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links to help support The Budget Diet girl! My advice will always be unbiased and free, but free won’t pay the bills! Thanks!