Repurposing is a new word in my frugal living vocabulary, and I love it!
Repurposing simply means reusing something in a new way, a.k.a. turning trash into treasure, but in honor of Earth Week we’ll use the more updated term.
So, exactly how do you get started repurposing?
- Put on your creative thinking cap and before you throw anything away ask yourself if it can be reborn as something else.
- If your creative juices just aren’t flowing, ask the search engines! Simply type: how can I repurpose _________?
- If all else fails, give someone else a chance to repurpose by donating your item to charity.
Now I’ll show-off my repurposing talents!
Pockets on old blue jeans can become super cute magnetic pencil holders for a locker.
- Cut the pocket off the jeans making sure to leave 1″ on the top of the back piece of denim.
- Fold down the extra 1″ piece so it’s even with the front of the pocket. Use stitch witchery to hold it down. Stitch witchery is available in sewing stores, and if you can iron…you can sew!
- Glue 4 magnets on the corners of the back of the pocket.
- Decorate the pocket with iron-ons or pins.
- Now you’ve got a great looking pencil holder for a locker!
- Dig through your piles of scrapbook stickers and look for a few that will cover-up the store logo or use a piece of scrapbook paper to cover-up the logo.
- That’s it, you’ve rescued a bag from the recycling bin and given it new life as a gift bag!
Picture frames are my specialty when it comes to repurposing!
- Old picture frames are readily available at thrift stores, Goodwill and garage sales. Look beyond the ugly picture and look for a great frame.
- Spray paint will give new life to your frame before you repurpose it. How about black? Red? Hot Pink? Gold or Silver?
- Instructions for making a chalkboard.
- Instructions for making a bulletin board.
- Instructions for making an earring display.
Toilet Paper Rolls
Toilet Paper rolls come alive as rainsticks or come in handy for all sorts of things! Check out 20 Uses for Cardboard Tubes Beyond The Bathroom
Please leave a comment to share your best repuposing projects.