Last Updated on by
Give an old silver tray a new life, give a festive and frugal gift, and spend less than $10 bucks! Sounds like my kind of gift!
Uses for a Chalkboard Tray
- Hang it on a wall just like a chalkboard – write inspirational messages or funny sayings!
- Use it in the dining room to write your menu for a dinner party.
- Make a Welcome sign.
- Use magnetic primer, and voila your chalkboard tray is also a magnet board!
- Let it change with the seasons – Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Valentine’s…you get the idea!
- Teacher Gift – don’t forget to write Merry Christmas, from ______.
- Neighbor Gift – write Merry Christmas!
- Hostess Gift – sure beats a bottle of wine!
How to Make a DIY Chalkboard Tray
Silver Tray – If you don’t have an unwanted silver tray gathering dust or tarnishing in your closet, you’re sure to find one at Goodwill! Another option…the Dollar Store has silver-looking trays made out of plastic. Honestly, you won’t pay much more than a few bucks for a silver-plated tray at a thrift store.
Blue Painters Tape
Foam Paint Brush (not needed if you use spray paint)
Metal Primer (spray paint or regular)
Chalkboard Paint (spray paint or regular…it’s your choice!)
- Cover the entire edge of the silver tray with the painters tape…be neat so you’ll have a beautiful border!
- Apply the primer following the manufacturers instructions.
- Apply the chalkboard paint following the manufacturers instructions – you’ll likely need 3 – 4 coats of paint.
- Let the paint cure…again, follow those manufacturers instructions.
Please leave a comment to share your clever uses for a chalkboard tray.
Need more festive and frugal homemade gift ideas? The Budget Diet girl is at your service!
P.S. – These projects don’t require fancy supplies or Martha Stewart skills plus they take just minutes to make!
Chalkboard Flower Pot
Coconut Sugar Scrub
Create a Cookbook (this one will take a little time, but once you make the first one, they’re easy to mass produce!)
Frame Free Printables
Gingersnap Body Scrub
No Sew Scarves – made with t-shirts!
Personalized Tote Bag
Vinyl Record Bowl