Another festive and frugal DIY gift from The Budget Diet girl! These make great gifts all year round…imagine the messages, imagine the gift giving possibilities – Get Well, Happy Birthday, Welcome to the Neighborhood, Good Luck, Welcome Home…you get the idea!
DIY Chalkboard Flower Pot Supplies:
Terra Cotta Pot
Chalkboard Paint (spray paint or regular)
Foam Brush (not needed if you use spray paint)
Painters Tape (optional)
Plant – something seasonal! Rosemary for Christmas, Shamrock for Good Luck, Orchids are always beautiful!
Small Plant Stake (if you’re lucky, you’ll get one with your plant!)
How to Make a DIY Chalkboard Flower Pot:
- Paint the area below the rim of the pot with the chalkboard paint. If you’re using spray paint, cover the rim with painters tape and turn the pot upside down to paint, so no paint ends up on the inside of the pot. I do recommend regular chalkboard paint for this project, but if you only have spray paint…be frugal and don’t let it go to waste!
- Follow the instructions on the paint can to apply 3 coats of paint.
- After the paint has cured (again…read the instructions on your paint can), write a message on the pot.
- Leave the plant in the plastic pot and place inside your newly painted flower pot. This will prevent your chalkboard paint from getting messed up when watering, so make sure you tell your gift recipient to take the plastic pot out to water.
- Tie ribbon around a piece of chalk, and attach to your flower pot using a small plant stake.
Who will you give a Chalkboard Flower Pot to?
If you need more festive and frugal homemade gift ideas, The Budget Diet girl is at your service!
P.S. – None of these projects require fancy supplies or Martha Stewart skills plus they take just minutes to make!
Aromatherapy Neck Wrap
Coconut Sugar Scrub
Create a Cookbook (this one will take a little time, but once you make the first one, they’re easy to mass produce!)
Frame Free Printables
Gingersnap Body Scrub
No Sew Scarves – made with t-shirts!
Personalized Tote Bag
Vinyl Record Bowl