Chill out with a Wet and Wild Backyard Splash Party – it’s another budget birthday party from The Budget Diet girl!
Ages: Tots to Preteens
Purchase inflatable beach balls, inflate and use a sharpie to write the birthday details on the ball. Deflate, and place in an envelope with instructions to blow up the beach ball. Amazon offers 1 dozen beach balls for just $9.95!
Games / Activities
No pool? No worries! Pick and choose from the following games and activities to create your own Wet and Wild Backyard Splash Party. A trip to the dollar store will yield plenty of inexpensive prizes.
- Slip-n-Slide – Growing up the slip-n-slide was a summertime tradition! Bring back some retro summer fun!
- Wet Sponge Toss – It’s just like the pie in the face game, but instead the children use a big, soaking wet car wash sponge to cool off one of the adults at the party. This is the perfect job for an Aunt or Uncle that wants to help with the party!
- Sprinkler Fun – Give each child an empty cup and have them choose a spot around the sprinkler. They must not move once the sprinkler starts! The first child to fill up their cup wins. Penalty for moving – dump your cup on your head and start again!
- Frozen Potato – Freeze a water balloon, and use it for a game of frozen potato…just like hot potato! When the music stops, the person holding the frozen potato is out. The last person wins!
- Splash Tag or Water Gun Tag – It’s a traditional game of tag, but with water!
- Water Balloon Toss – Better for older kids!
- Beach Ball Race – Use water guns to move beach balls to the finish line!
- Paint The Fence – Set up buckets of water and big paint brushes, and see which child can paint a section of the wooden fence the fastest.
- Go Fish – Use a baby pool as a fish pond! Use a magnetic child’s fishing pole set, and each color of fish = a different prize. If you are entertaining older children, let them “fish” out the prizes with their feet!
- Sun Shaped Sandwiches – Use a cookie cutter to make sandwiches shaped like the sun!
- Fish Shaped Jello - Combine 4 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelatin and 3 small boxes of blue jello. Add 4 cups boiling water and stir until dissolved. Pour into a 9″ x 13″ baking pan and chill until firm. Use a fish shaped cookie cutter to cut out blue fish! The Knox gelatin will help these stay firm in the heat!
- Ocean Water Punch – Use blue food coloring to make lemonade look like blue ocean water. Float a few gummy fish in it for fun!
- Fruit Kabobs
Save yourself money – bake it, don’t buy it! You don’t need any cake decorating skills to make cupcakes with frosting! Add any of these cute little picks for instant decorations!
Freeze the party favors in blocks of ice, and at the end of the party let each child melt the ice to get to their favor! No dropping or throwing allowed…they can only rub it around the hot pavement! Small torpedos that you dive for in the pool are perfect to freeze!