Did you know that La Madeleine’s Tomato Basil soup boasts 340 calories and 32 grams of fat in just 1 cup?
I was on a mission to create a tasty, creamy, low fat version of La Madeleine’s Tomato Basil Soup, and I can proudly boast – MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Give this recipe a try and let me know if you agree.
|Tomato Basil Soup Recipe||
- 14 oz. can Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 10 oz. can tomato soup (condensed, do not dilute)
- 16 oz. chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ½ cup fat free, plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops of Tabasco
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine Italian diced tomatoes, tomato soup and chicken broth.
- Using an immersion blender or stick blender, puree until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Put the yogurt in a small bowl and add about a half cup of the warm soup and stir until combined. (Note: this prevents the yogurt from curdling).
- Add the yogurt mixture to the soup along with the pepper, tabasco and basil.
- Heat 5 minutes.
Enjoy Tomato Basil Soup with The Budget Diet’s Homemade Beer Bread!