The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I'm a sucker for any recipe that claims to be "the best," and I have a weakness for warm chocolate chip cookies...who doesn't? After years of trying every chocolate chip cookie recipe that claimed to be the best...there it was, staring at me on Pinterest - The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe from The New York Times. Like I said, I'm a sucker, so I had to try it, and I now declare the search for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie is over! The recipe really is the best, but be warned...the measurements are odd, you'll have to buy special flours and the dough is required to be refrigerated for 24 - 36 hours before baking. I'm certain that something magical happens with these precise measurements, special flours and that waiting period because I'll never try another Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe again nor will I try to adjust any of these measurements. I did, however, simplify the wording of the instructions and I added some caramel bits for an over-the-top WOW. The only downside to the recipe? You can't satisfy your Chocolate Chip Cookie craving immediately because of the all-important waiting period.
- 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⅔ cups bread flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2½ sticks butter, softened
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⅓ cups semisweet chocolate chips (the original recipe calls for 1¼ lbs., so I did the conversion for you!)
- 1 cup caramel bit (optional, but amazing!)
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low , add dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and caramel bits, if desired.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and press the plastic wrap against the dough.
- Refrigerate for 24 - 36 hours. Note: Dough may be used in batches and can be refrigerated up to 72 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop golf ball size mounds of dough onto baking sheet...these are BIG cookies!
- Bake until light golden brown but still soft...18 - 20 minutes.
- Let cool on pan placed on a wire rack for 10 minutes, and then transfer cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
If you love the taste of a warm chocolate chip cookie, try microwaving a cookie for about 10 seconds. Every microwave is different, so you may have to experiment!