It’s day 4 of The Budget Diet’s 12 Days of Cookies, and if you’re feeling like you have no time to bake, this recipe for Saltine Toffee will come to your rescue!
If you’re taking Saltine Toffee to a cookie exchange, why don’t you package it in a cellophane bag tied with a festive ribbon!
|Saltine Toffee – Toffee Bar Recipe||
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers (with salted tops)
- 1½ cups light brown sugar
- 1½ sticks butter
- 1, 12 oz. package, chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecan pieces, optional
- Line a 12 x 17 rimmed cookie sheet with heavy duty foil and grease with butter.
- Place crackers side by side (salted side up) to cover the cookie sheet.
- If you have a little extra room on the cookie sheet, fold the foil up to create an edge.
- Combine butter and brown sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil 2 minutes.
- Pour butter/brown sugar mixture gently over crackers, making sure all are covered.
- Bake 7 minutes at 375.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- When chocolate chips melt, spread with a spatula evenly covering the crackers.
- Optional: sprinkle with pecan pieces.
- Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm.
- Using your hands, break into pieces and enjoy!
- Yield: 3 dozen (it really depends on the size of the pieces!)
Tomorrow’s recipe on The Budget Diet’s 12 Days of Cookies is: Cookie Dough Truffles! Yummy!