by Kristl on July 20, 2011
|Fruit Smoothie Recipe||
Recipe type: Beverage
Author: Kristl Story, TheBudgetDiet.com
Learn how to make your own smoothies or better yet, teach your kids to make their own smoothies! Fruit smoothies are healthy, refreshing and affordable when you make your own! Enjoy experimenting with different combinations of fruit…our family favorite is strawberry mango! Make your own smoothies for a fraction of the cost!
- 1½ cups frozen fruit (Costco sells large bags of frozen strawberries and other frozen fruit for about $8)
- 1 cup milk (whole milk, skim milk, soy milk, almond milk…your choice!)
- 6 oz. vanilla yogurt (low fat, low carb, sugar free…any type will work!)
- ⅓ cup liquid egg whites, optional
- 1 scoop protein powder, optional
- handful of spinach, optional
- Place frozen fruit in the immersion blender cup.
- Defrost in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until the fruit is slightly thawed.
- Add milk and yogurt.
- If you opt for a protein burst, add the optional liquid egg whites or protein powder.
- If you want to sneak in a serving of veggies, add the optional spinach! I promise you won’t taste it, but your smoothie won’t be the most attractive color!
- Blend using an immersion blender. Immersion blenders are quicker and easier to use than a regular blender and clean up is a snap!