Make Your Own Buttermilk
How many times have you had to buy a quart of buttermilk when you really only needed 1 cup for your recipe? It's quick, easy and cheap to make your own buttermilk, and you can make exactly the amount you need!
- milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim)*
- white vinegar or lemon juice
- If you need 1 cup of buttermilk, put 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice in your measuring cup.
- Add the milk until you get to the 1 cup mark.
- Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Voila...you've just made buttermilk!
- You can easily adjusts the amounts depending on how much buttermilk you need. For example:
- If you need ½ cup of buttermilk use ½ tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice.
- If you need 2 cups of buttermilk use 2 tablespoons of either white vinegar or lemon juice.
If you're baking, I suggest using whole milk or 2% for a rich taste. Opt for 1% or skim milk when you're using buttermilk in low fat recipes.