Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice
An easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe that's frugalicious, fast and perfect for Mardi Gras! If you want to reduce your prep time to just 5 minutes, opt for the frozen chopped bell pepper, frozen chopped onion and dried minced garlic.
- 1 lb. dried red beans
- 1 lb. smoked sausage sliced in 1" pieces (turkey sausage, Andouille sausage or no sausage...it's your choice!)
- 2 green bell pepper, diced or use 1 cup of frozen chopped bell pepper
- 1 onion, diced or use 1 cup of frozen chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon of dried minced garlic
- 1 T. Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- Combine all ingredients (except rice) in a crock pot.
- Add 7 cups water.
- Cover and cook on high 7 - 8 hours or until beans are tender.* (Crock Pot cooking times vary, so start checking your beans after 4 hours.)
- Serve over rice.
*Crock Pot cooking times vary greatly, and your beans may be done in as little as 3 hours! Start checking your beans after 3 hours and make a note on your recipe with the exact cooking time for your crock pot.
Photo courtesy of nuchylee / FreeDigitalPhotos.net