by Kristl on February 17, 2012
|Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice||
Recipe type: Main
Author: Kristl Story, TheBudgetDiet.com
An easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe that’s frugalicious, fast and perfect for Mardi Gras! If you want to reduce your prep time to just 5 minutes, opt for the frozen chopped bell pepper, frozen chopped onion and dried minced garlic.
- 1 lb. dried red beans
- 1 lb. smoked sausage sliced in 1″ pieces (turkey sausage, Andouille sausage or no sausage…it’s your choice!)
- 2 green bell pepper, diced or use 1 cup of frozen chopped bell pepper
- 1 onion, diced or use 1 cup of frozen chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon of dried minced garlic
- 1 T. Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- Combine all ingredients (except rice) in a crock pot.
- Add 7 cups water.
- Cover and cook on high 7 – 8 hours or until beans are tender.* (Crock Pot cooking times vary, so start checking your beans after 4 hours.)
- Serve over rice.
*Crock Pot cooking times vary greatly, and your beans may be done in as little as 3 hours! Start checking your beans after 3 hours and make a note on your recipe with the exact cooking time for your crock pot.