bright lights, big city…
snow covered mountains…
whatever your vacation dream, it’s time to make it a reality!
Stop dreaming, start traveling with these crazy ways to save money on your next vacation.
The Vacation Fund
Try these painless ways to save money for your next vacation!
- Unload all your $1 bills every night…it’s like the old-fashioned coin jar, but it takes into account inflation! You’ll likely save at least $1200 a year.
- Sell, Sell, Sell…have a garage sale, sell on ebay, sell on craigslist. According to Consumer Reports, the average family has $1000 – $2000 of unwanted items just sitting around.
- Start using a rewards credit card…if you use a credit card responsibly (translated: you pay it in full every month), find the best rewards credit card and use it for everything! I use a Delta Sky Miles credit card, and I generally earn 4 round trip tickets per year!
Deal First, Destination Second
This is The Budget Diet girl’s motto, and it simply means…don’t get your heart set on a destination, and then discover the deals don’t exist. Instead, be open-minded and get excited about a great deal. Look beyond Expedia and Travelocity, and take a look at these unconventional ways to score a travel bargain.
- Groupon Getaways are Groupons for travel…huge savings with a few restrictions, so make sure to read the fine print. I’ve seen a Seaside Resort in Belize for 74% off!
- Hotel rooms are expensive, stay in a loft in Manhattan, a ski condo in Aspen, or a beach house in Australia. It’s free with Home Exchange where you stay in my house, and I stay in yours. It’s worth looking into especially if you live in a popular tourist destination.
- Consider a volunteer vacation. There are organizations around the globe looking for volunteers in exchange for boarding or other amenities such as meals.
Before You Pack Your Bags
Plan ahead and do a little research to save on food and fun.
- Find out if there are any chain restaurants at your destination, and then order a few discounted gift cards to save on meals. Try Plastic Jungle to save up to 35%!
- About a month before you travel, start checking Groupon everyday for discounts on tours, restaurants, golf, spas and fun! Find Today’s Daily Deal in Your Destination City at Groupon.com!
- Do a simple internet search for “free events in ________,” and you’ll likely discover free concerts or festivals to enjoy.
Do you have any crazy ways to save money on travel?