by Kristl on December 19, 2011
|Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies||
Author: Kristl Story, TheBudgetDiet.com
Serves: 4 dozen sandwich cookies
Chocolate cookies filled with a rich, creamy peppermint filling! These are a huge hit with both kids and adults, and they are ideal for a cookie exchange! If you’re an Oreo lover, try these without the peppermint for a delicious homemade Oreo!
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate syrup
- 2½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Peppermint Filling Ingredients:
- 60 hard peppermint candies (the little round ones)
- 4 sticks butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 12 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Cookie Instructions:
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and shortening.
- Remove from heat and stir in cocoa powder and chocolate syrup, let cool about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and egg for 2 minutes.
- Beat in the chocolate mixture.
- Beat in flour, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Peppermint Filling Instructions:
- Place peppermints in a zip top bag and add another zip top bag to prevent the bag from breaking.
- Use a hammer to gently crush the peppermints.
- Melt the butter and shortening.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, vanilla and crushed peppermints.
- Assembling the Chocolate Peppermint Sandwich Cookies:
- Using a spoon, place a heaping tablespoon onto 1 chocolate cookie and top with another chocolate cookie to make a sandwich.