Chili is the official state food of Texas, and it’s a great comfort food on a cold night! My Chili recipe starts with a homemade chili seasoning mix, and it is best served "Frito Pie Style!"
- 2 lbs. ground beef or lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup chili seasoning mix (see The Budget Diet's Chili Seasoning Recipe, link below)
- 2 cans Rotel tomatoes (mild or hot depending on how spicy you like your chili)
- 1, 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1, 16 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1, 16 oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- optional: fritos and shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Sprinkle ground beef with chili seasoning mix and stir to combine.
- Stir in Rotel, tomato sauce, black beans and pinto beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In Texas we love to use our chili to make Frito Pie...simply put a handful of Fritos in the bottom of your bowl, top with chili and cheese.
recipe adapted from Southern Living
The Budget Diet’s homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe