- Cheap Dates
- Deal of the Day
- Diet & Fitness
- Earth Friendly
- Family Fun
- Frugal Living
- Instant Savings
- Organize My Life
- Utility Bills
- Weekly Challenge
Category : Recipes
Go beyond the basic chips & dip, and stay away from those expensive prepackaged snacks…my Super Bowl recipes are all frugalicious and fast (of course!).
Image courtesy of Idea Go / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
|The Cheese Dip||
- 1, 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese OR grated jalapeño jack
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small purple onion, diced
- Wheat Thins or Frito’s Scoops for dipping
- Place all ingredients in a shallow baking dish (a 9″ square pan or round quiche pan will be perfect!)
- Microwave on high for about 2 minutes or until the ingredients are melted enough to stir together.
- Stir until combined.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with Wheat Thins or Frito’s Scoops for dipping
|Better Than Baked Potatoes||
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- optional: sour cream, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Slice each potato thinly without cutting all the way through…just like the picture!
- Place the potatoes on a plate, cover with wax paper and microwave 10 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a greased 9 x 9 pan.
- Brush olive oil all over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until light brown and crispy.
- Top with sour cream and cilantro if desired.
Johnny has scouts,
you’ve volunteered at the school all day,
your husband’s working late, and
everyone wants to know…what’s for dinner?
Simplify dinner with these 6 dinner shortcuts that will save you both time and money.
1. Learn to Love your Crock Pot – The Budget Diet has a collection of crock pot recipes that require less than 5 minutes of preparation! That’s it…5 minutes in the morning, and dinner is served in the evening!
2. Warming Oven – Most of us don’t have fancy kitchens with warming ovens, so try The Budget Diet’s frugal warming oven! It’s a casserole warmer that will keep dinner hot for about 2 hours, and it’s perfect for those nights when everyone needs to eat dinner at a different time.
3.Double & Freeze – This is your new rule for cooking! Get in the habit of doubling recipes…one for tonight, and one for the freezer. When you’re too busy to cook, let your freezer handle dinner. Casseroles, Soups and Chili are best for freezing. Tips: Freeze Soups & Stews in freezer zip top bags, and freeze casseroles uncooked and wrapped in foil and freezer paper. Don’t forget to allow 2 days to thaw in your refrigerator.
4.Frozen Chicken Breasts – They’re budget friendly, you don’t have to worry about expiration dates and there’s no need to thaw before cooking!
5.Rotisserie Chicken – The ultimate dinner shortcut! Try The Budget Diet’s 5 Quick and Easy Dinner Ideas Using Rotisserie Chicken…Chicken Tacos, BBQ Chicken Pizza, BBQ Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Quesadillas and Chicken Caesar Salad.
6.Breakfast for Dinner and Other Mindless Meals – Who says dinner has to be elaborate? Every now and then serve breakfast for dinner or try one of The Budget Diet’s No Recipe Required Dinner Ideas.
What are your dinner shortcuts to save time and money?
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
|Poinsettia Punch Recipe||
- 1 bottle cran-raspberry juice, chilled
- 1 bottle Champagne, chilled (cheap is fine!)
- 1 liter Sprite (store brand is fine!)
- Optional: frozen raspberries to float in the glass
- Non-alcoholic version: eliminate the Champagne and use 2 liters of Sprite.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Serve and enjoy!
It’s Cookie Exchange Season, and if you’re looking for a new cookie recipe to WOW everyone…check out this list! You’ll even discover some super-simple treats that take less than 15 minutes to make!
A cookie exchange is an easy and inexpensive Christmas gathering, and the best part is getting an assortment of cookies to enjoy during the holidays. Need help planning a cookie exchange? Check out my article full of tips for hosting a cookie exchange.
A program for serious savings! $29 includes: