- 8 cups cabbage, shredded (about 1 head)
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded (1-2 carrots)
- 2 Tbsp. onion, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp. white vinegar
- 2½ Tbsp. lemon juice
- Use grater or food processor to shred the cabbage and put them in a bowl. In this recipe, I used green and red cabbage to bring color to coleslaw.
- Chop the onion and slice the carrots and put them on the cabbage mixture.
- Get another bowl and blend the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Then, put buttermilk and milk. Stir.
- Lastly, put lemon juice, vinegar and mayonnaise. Mix them well.
- Toss the slaw mix down into the second bowl and mix well until everything is covered.
- Cover it with a lid or plastic. Leave it in a refrigerator for 3 hours or all night.
Skip the red cabbage if you don’t want this to happen.
As I mentioned, you can change ingredients depending on you preferences and to bring variety to your table. You may need:
Add a ¼ cup of any of the following:
• Green peppers
• Almonds, pecans or peanuts
• Toasted sesame seeds or shelled sunflower seeds
• Shredded cheese
Add a ⅛ tsp. of any of the following:
• Onion powder
• Dry mustard
• Celery seed
• Dill weed
Other Variation Ideas:
Instead of regular milk, use half-and-half or cream
Instead of white onion, use red onion and use a whole onion.
Put tangy flavour through zing with dash of cilantro and Tabasco sauce.
Instead of lemon, use lime juice.
Instead of cabbage, use broccoli.
Instead of mayonnaise, use yogurt.
Instead of sauerkraut on the hotdog, hamburger or sandwich, use coleslaw. Yummy!