It’s day 1 of The Budget Diet’s 12 Days of Cookies. Each day The Budget Diet will feature a delicious recipe that’s perfect to share at a cookie exchange, and today’s recipe is Peppermint Brownies.
If you’re taking peppermint brownies to a cookie exchange, here’s a cute packaging idea: cut 12 inch squares from a roll of cellophane (rolls of cellophane are available at Micheal’s, Hobby Lobby or Party City), place 4 brownies in the center of the square, gather the cellophane and tie with a red & white candy cane striped ribbon.
- 2 sticks butter
- 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 5 eggs
- 3¾ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1⅔ cups flour
- 1 (9.5 oz.) package Andes mints (creme de menthe flavor)
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper.
- Microwave butter and unsweetened chocolate until melted (microwave 1 minute, stir, microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave in additional 30 second increments if needed.)
- Dissolve instant coffee in boiling water.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract on high for 3 minutes.
- Beat in coffee mixture.
- Beat in chocolate/butter mixture.
- Beat in flour.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan.
- Top with a layer of Andes mints.
- Spread remaining batter on top of the mints.
- Bake at 425 for 23 minutes (they will still look soft!).
- Cool on a wire rack and refrigerate 4 hours before cutting.
- Lift the edges of the parchment paper to remove the brownies from the pan.
- These brownies are really thick!
Tomorrow’s featured cookie on The Budget Diet’s 12 Days of Cookies is: Oreo Balls.