That humble yellow box of baking soda works magic on more than just chocolate chip cookies!
Baking soda is an odor-neutralizer, a gentle abrasive and an amazing natural non-toxic cleanser. So…the next time you’re at the grocery, grab a few boxes for less than $1 and get to work!
Uses for Baking Soda
1. Freshen Your Fridge – Simply open a box of baking soda, put it in your fridge and change it out every couple of months. There’s no need to buy those expensive baking soda fridge packs, the ordinary store-brand box does the trick!
2. Whiten Your Teeth – Baking soda is your answer for teeth whitening. Read the complete instructions for teeth whitening on a budget!
3. Anti-Residue Shampoo – Stop spending money on an anti-residue shampoo! Instead, mix a little baking soda into your regular shampoo once a week to eliminate product build-up.
4. Stinky Retainer??? My daughter’s orthodontist suggested soaking her retainer in a mixture of 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1/2 cup warm water.
5. Exfoliate – Why spend money on an expensive exfoliant when you can mix a little baking soda into your facial cleanser. Who knew?
6. Grease Fire??? Keep a box of baking soda near your stove, so you’re ready to douse the flames of a small grease fire.
7. DIY Soft Scrub – Sprinkle baking soda and wipe! How easy and economical is that for cleaning sinks and tubs?
8. Scrub Your Pots – When you’ve got a burned, baked on mess in your pots and pans…let baking soda do the work. Sprinkle with baking soda, spritz with vinegar, let sit a few minutes, add warm water and dish soap and soak overnight.
9. Clean Your Oven – Sprinkle baking soda, spritz with vinegar and let sit overnight. Your baked on crud will wipe away in the morning, and you won’t be breathing toxic fumes.
10. Stinky Sneakers??? Sprinkle, sprinkle…you know the drill!
11. Remove Crayon Marks – Dampen a cloth, dip it in baking soda, rub and watch those crayon marks disappear from your walls. WOW!
12. Rinse Your Produce – Don’t waste money on those overpriced produce rinses…make your own! Sprinkle baking soda on your sponge when washing your fruits and veggies.
13. Unclog Drains – When it comes to clogged drains, baking soda and vinegar are your frugal friends. Read the complete instructions for how to unclog a drain with baking soda and vinegar.
14. Funny Tummy??? Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda into a cup of warm water and drink for a natural antacid.
15. DIY Goo Gone – Mix together 3 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Rub, rinse and bye-bye sticky goo!
16. Remove Oil Stains from Your Garage Floor – Sprinkle with baking soda, let sit for an hour and scrub with a damp brush.
17. Bug Bite??? Make a paste with baking soda and water then apply like a salve to relieve itching and stinging.
18. Freshen Your Carpets – If you’ve seen the expensive carpet fresheners at the store…just walk on by! All you need is baking soda – sprinkle, let sit for an hour and vacuum. Try it on your car mats too!
19. Freshen Mattresses – It’s the same process as freshening your carpets.
20. Make Fresh Flowers Last Longer – Add a teaspoon a baking soda to the vase. Enjoy!
21. Smelly Hands – Whenever you cut an onion, mince garlic or prepare fish…oh those smelly hands! Make a paste of baking soda and water, rub onto your hands and rinse. It works like magic!
22. Stinky Trash Can – If you don’t have the time to scrub it out, sprinkle a little baking soda for a quick odor neutralizer.
Please leave a comment to share your favorite uses for baking soda.